Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Illustrators Questionnaire - Drew Millward

Can you describe the processes you go through when working on an illustration commission from start to finish?
Think
Sketch
Ink
Scan
Colour
Kick back and watch the $$$$$ roll in.

Which illustrations do you enjoy the most, and which are most beneficial to you (if these aren't the same)?
I love doing posters. It’s a good way of an audience seeing your work, you instantly have a group of people interested in it (fans of the band), and you get to do what you want.
Win!

How would you compare your work to that of other modern illustrators and animators in the same league as yourself?
Very difficult to answer. I would say I’ve found a bit of a market for myself. But, if you send your time comparing your own work to others, I’m not entirely sure you would get anything done. It’s pretty demoralising, and I wouldn’t recommend it.

Whose work do you admire within illustration and animation; who or what inspires you from outside your own medium of work (if anyone/thing)? -What first inspired you to follow the route you have taken?
There really are too many people to list. I genuinely find such a vast array of work inspiring i could in no way fit it in a list.
I would say the first thing that really made me think about drawing stuff for a living was seeing a show in Manchester by Jay Ryan and discussing things with him. Made me realise it was a viable route to take.

What is your favourite style of illustration?
Probably not my own, but unfortunately that is what I’m limited to.

What advice would you give an aspiring illustrator/animator? -In hindsight, would you have done anything differently?
I fell in to doing this. I did some posters for shows we were putting on, that lead to other things. It was very organic. I have no advice. Although I’m not sure the route I took was the best.

What do you think of the current state of illustration in this country?
There is a massive amount of great stuff going on, and huge amount of people creating great work. Unfortunately, along with that comes an air of ‘cool’, which means a massive amount of shit created by people jumping on a creative bandwagon. I’m a firm believer in the cream rising.

How relevant do you think illustration is in art compared with more traditional methods such as sculpture and painting?
It’s about the most immediate form of art, and certainly one that people come into contact with daily... even without realising it. It’s like the Trojan horse or art. Marching, undetected into people eyeballs on a day to day basis.

If you could own one piece of art, what would it be?
‘The Garden of Earthly Delights’ by Hieronymus Bosch

If you could have created one piece of art, which would it be?
See above.

http://www.drewmillward.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment